Monday, December 16, 2013

"TALENTLESS CONVICT ART"

I enjoy receiving real letters from real people almost as much as I enjoy exposing cunting parasites for what they truly are. One such pretender recently accosted me with a message that made snide reference to "talentless convict art," which fortuitously reminded me that I had a small shoe box containing such art in my basement. Back when I was publishing Destroying Angels it was my unspoken commitment to send a free copy to any prisoner who bothered to write a letter. I figured it could do a man well to have something to stimulate the mind while serving time behind bars. I eventually stopped because prisons have erratic mail policies and I was wasting a lot of postage on zines that were returned due to inflammatory content. During that period I received some lavishly embellished envelopes, mostly drawn with ballpoint pen. I thought I'd post just a few here for your enjoyment. I'm not crediting the artists by their legal names out of respect for their privacy. I don't know where these guys are now, but I imagine some of them might not want to be identified online. In any case, it is always worth considering the outlaw instinct and the aesthetics of involuntary confinement.
















4 comments:

Ryan.N said...

I thought you would like real letters! that's why I sent you one once. I thought I'd really like to send one, and I assumed you would write me back eventually but you never did. by the way you weren't the only one I sent a letter to and never got a response, I even send post cards to some family members then they send me a stupid fucking text message saying thanks for the card. I looked for some bands addresses on their websites but they only have email addresses. it sucks haha...

Dennis Dread said...

You sure did, Ryan. You also occasionally leave comments on this blog, so I hold you in high regard, stranger. You'll get a reply when you least expect it...

Ryan.N said...

Great! good to know it made it to you. AAAAAAARGH!!!!!!! the battle for art!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Great post. I believe I see some Dystopia referencing going on in that second picture (the gasmasked figure's flag reads Human = Garbage). I'm just going to imagine that one came from some crusty, dreadlocked Latino with stick and poke tattoos who got busted burning cop cars during the LA riots.Although I'm not sure how that image coincides with the swastika of sickles and spears that's also in the picture...