Tuesday, January 08, 2008

GROSS ANATOMY (part 3)


Welcome back, fiends! It's been a while since I last posted so it's time to ring in 2008 with a new drawing & a new installment of Gross Anatomy! This time we'll take a look at the evolution of my recent drawing for Welsh expatriate & D.I.Y. publisher Pete Lewis' zine Foul Weather! Pete's zine explores everything from surfing to politics and he still listens to Excel when he's skating so you know he rules. Ok, lets' go...

This drawing is inspired by two things that people should really care more about: impending environmental disaster and Sacred Reich. I start out real loose just to get a feel for the composition and the motion I'm trying to convey...

From the initial sketch I start formulating exactly what I want this fucker to look like and I basically de-flesh the surfer. Why? Because re-animated skeletons are just more fun to draw than surfer dudes. This has almost nothing to do with the actual content of the zine. Anyway, you can see all the important details that will emerge later when I hit it with the ballpoints. Most of the problem solving happens during this stage...

Surf Guantanamo! I spend hours painstakingly laying on the ink to make the details of this frozen moment leap out. Note the droplets of water all around the surfer's body. Those have to be carefully planned and worked around because I can't erase at this stage (I guess I could use white-out but it just wouldn't look the same). This is a raw scan of the final image. Enjoy!

Click on the images above to get a closer look at the detail.
Until next time...never surrender to the undertow!

3 comments:

Ryan S. said...

Fucking great work

Kim Riot said...

Love the typewriter!
My coworker is going to dig this too, he has been collecting surfploitation since the 60s.

Anonymous said...

So fuckin badass! Is there a story behind the typewriter? The background, the mask, the water.. all so detailed I love it. Another great piece.